Helping you find phone shops near you
UK’s #1 phone repair comparison service
Helping you save money on phone repairs
It’s a good idea to insure your mobile phone, especially if you’re using a high-end handset. After all, replacing a stolen phone could cost you well over £1,000 for some models.
We’ve put together a list of phone insurance companies below. They all provide great value for money while insuring your phone against theft, loss or damage.
What is Mobile Phone Insurance?
Simply put, mobile phone insurance safeguards your handset if it becomes lost, stolen or damaged. Covering your new handset with a phone insurance policy means that you’ve got peace of mind in the event something happens to your phone.
It’s becoming increasingly important to look after your mobile phone. These days, our lives often revolve around our phones, with access to social media, email, family photos and even online streaming at our fingertips. The loss of a mobile phone can leave you feeling helpless – with good phone insurance, you’ll be back up and running in no time.
If something happens to your phone, your mobile phone insurance will cover it. No more worrying about expensive replacements – phone insurance has got you covered.
How to find the best Phone Insurance
The best mobile phone insurance policy is one that covers everything you need at a price you can afford. But not all phone insurance policies are created equal – you’ll have to compare policies with a few different providers to get the very best deal.
If you drop your phone a lot, you might want to make sure you have a high level of accidental damage cover. This is especially good advice if you own a brand new, flagship handset. If you travel overseas on a regular basis, you may want to consider smartphone insurance with overseas cover. That would ensure your handset is still covered while abroad.
The kind of policy you take out should be determined by the kind of cover you need. Have a think about which kinds of cover you’re likely to need the most, and make a list of the features you’re going to need. Then, just compare the policies listed above to decide which one suits you the best.
The maximum cover amount and the excess you have to pay when making a claim will affect the price of your policy. It’s worth shopping around to find the right level of cover for you.
What to check on Phone Insurance policies
Getting insurance can be a bit of a minefield. After all, different insurers offer very different types of coverage on their individual policies. What should you look for? Make sure you perform a thorough phone insurance comparison by double checking the type of cover, the value of your phone and how much excess you will be charged.
- Types of Cover: Make sure you look for a phone insurance policy that offers exactly the kind of cover you need. Accident prone? You’ll definitely want accidental damage cover. More worried about loss or theft? Make sure they’re in your policy, too.
- Value: Exactly how much is your mobile phone worth? If you’ve got a mid-range or lower-end smartphone, you can get away with a cheaper policy. But high-end smartphone users will need to make sure the cost of their handset is covered by their policy.
- Excess: This is how much you’ll have to pay every time you make a claim on your policy. How much are you happy with paying when you need to make a claim? higher excess will generally lead to a cheaper policy, so if you won’t be claiming very often, it could be more cost effective to have a policy with a higher excess.
What does Phone Insurance cover?
Mobile phone insurance can cover the loss and damage of your phone in various situations:
- Lost Phone: If you lose your phone or it gets stolen from you, loss and theft cover will usually replace your handset for a similar model.
- Cracked Screens: Accidental damage cover means that you don’t have to pay to replace or repair a broken phone screen. It’s even covered if the phone has been dropped.
- Overseas Damage: If you travel abroad and accidentally damage your mobile phone, a policy which includes overseas claims ensure you’re covered even when you’re outside the UK.
Note: Your individual policy will dictate the level of cover which applies to you. Cheaper policies will likely include a smaller level of cover and may not include certain features.
What’s not covered by Mobile Phone Insurance?
Event he very best phone insurance policies won’t cover you for ever eventuality. There are certain things that just won’t be covered by mobile phone insurance. You should check your phone insurance policy documents and make note of any exclusions. These usually include:
- Dents and Scratches
- Intentional Damage
- Theft due to Negligence – for example, after leaving your phone on view in the car
- Lost SIM Cards
- Manufacturer’s Defects
- Older Phones (more than 6 months old)
How to find cheap Phone Insurance
Mobile phones can be some of the most expensive items we own – the latest iPhones often costing upwards of £1,000. That doesn’t mean your phone insurance will cost you the earth. By shopping around, you can make sure you get the very best deal on your phone insurance.
Here are some tips to help you save even more:
- Multi-Gadget Discounts: Often, insurers will offer you a discount if you take out insurance policies on multiple devices. It may be worth ensuring your entire household’s phones all together under one policy.
- Annual Payments: Paying for your phone insurance in one yearly lump sum will generally net you a discount compared to the pay-monthly price. If you can afford the annual price, it’s far more cost effective and a great way to save money.
- Higher Excess: If you’re careful with your handset and don’t expect to make many claims, you might want to increase the excess on your policy. This generally means a lower monthly cost, but you will have to pay more when you make a claim.
Compare our phone insurance providers above to choose a policy that has everything you need at the lowest price.